Sunday, September 17, 2006

My green cream



I LOVE kaya. I love having it with my min jian kueh, having it spread on a good slice of multigrain bread, slapped in between two pieces of cream crackers or even having it own its own! Somehow the rich mixture of eggs, coconut milk and sugar never ceases to stir my tastebuds. The person who invented kaya must have been a genius! Plus, anything with pandan in it is simply too good to resist. Therefore today, I'm proud to say I made my first ever pot of kaya :)



The recipe was taken from Chubby Hubby whose home-made kaya looked deliciously nice. I also read from some other sites that traditional kaya is supposed to be custard like. Since this was my first attempt, I wasn't really sure how the process should go and I think might have made some mistakes. I also edited the recipe be reducing the caster sugar from 275g to 175g since I didn't want my kaya to be too sweet.

After steaming the kaya for a mere half an hour, I went to check on it and I saw a bowl of steamed egg staring back at me! Hahaha! I wonder if it's got anything to do with reducing the sugar. Help anyone? But thanks to my gf's brilliant idea of blending the "steamed kaya egg", we finally got a decently smooth pot of custard-like kaya which tasted pretty good! Although with the huge reduction in sugar, it was still quite sweet. I would suggest though, that if you are going to reduce the sugar, you should also take away an egg yolk or two since the final product tasted quite eggy. Actually, it kind of tasted more like egg custard *sheepish grin*
But still! It's my first pot of kaya and I'm proud of it!



Yay, I'm having kaya with toast for tomorrow morning's breakfast, and the next, and the next....

Recipe:
250ml cocont milk
8 pandan leaves
175g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 chicken eggs

Instructions:
1. Combine eggs, sugar and salt and stir till sugar dissolves.
2. Tie 6 pandan leaves together into a knot and bruise them to release the flavour
3. Pour coconut milk and leaves in a saucepan and boil till it starts to bubble
4. Stir in coconut milk into egg mixture slowly while stirring constantly
5. Pour mixture over sieve into a double boiler
6. Boil till mixture begins to thicken
7. Tie the remaining 2 leaves into a knot and place in a bowl. Sieve the mixture into the bowl.
8. Cover with foil and make small holes. Steam for 45mins - 1hour
9. Blend till desired smoothness

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely :) chubby hubby can never go wrong can he? LOL. tho' im not a fan of kaya, yours look really good.

Sammy said...

Thnks :) Chubby hubby is really THE man. Awesome site :p

Anonymous said...

i wonder does chubby hubby gives out photography tips? LOL i mean, i'm sure people hv asked. wonder what he says? does he just politely decline or something? *sigh* wish i could learn some tips from him hehe. the thing is, not many ppl will share their photo taking secrets...

Anonymous said...

Whoa looks damn goood! Might just give it a shot! Hehehe =)

I have kaya with my french toast almost everyday! A tbs goes a long way! Hehehehe..

Sammy said...

Heyo michie! Nice to see you here :)

Evan: I wonder if he has taken up photography professionally or they just... improved by themselves!But chubby's cam looks pretty kick as*. What cam r u using btw? Maybe we can ask him for some tips heheheeee

Babe_KL said...

hmmm i must try making kaya one day but it's kinda cheap here in KL... a major deterrant factor hahaha to make my own :p but your kaya texture looked slightly diff from CH which is smoother.

Sammy said...

Hello! Kaya is quite cheap here in Sg also but nothing beats makng your own (you can customize it anyway you want). anyways, I think the kaya was overcooked maybe cos I didn't have a set temp for my steamer. So i think the color n texture turned out abit different :)

:: Pastry Girl :: said...

wow..kaya..U are making me go really hungry. I am also a Kaya lover! thanks for the recipe! I always eat Hong Fatt brand..where its improved by SP stds and a healthier choice i guess. Try it!

Sammy said...

Heyo Lav! Hrmm Hong Fatt... never noticed it before. Try to look out for it next time :)

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!